Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pantry Challenge, Week 2

*The blog I follow that suggested this challenge is stopping it due to some difficult life circumstances, however, I will be continuing the series through to the end of the month*

So far, so good!  I'm well within my budget for food for the month, $300 for our family of 7.  I spent $40 this week on milk, vegies, and some foods for my hubbies upcoming birthday.  That puts my total for food for the month to $233.  Not too shabby!

Here is my menu for this week:

Thursday
Breakfast - Hot Cereal. I'm thinking about trying a polenta. Update: I did try a polenta recipe from a cookbook called "Family Feasts for $75 a week" and it was really good!
Lunch - Sandwiches.
Dinner - Pasta Mama (pasta, eggs, meat and vegies, cooked on the stovetop) and vegies. 

Friday
Breakfast - Bagels with cream cheese, and grapefruit.
Lunch - Soup and Homemade Biscuits.
Dinner - Homemade Pizza. 

Saturday
Breakfast - Pancakes (my favorite!)
Lunch - Leftovers (Smorgasbord!)
Dinner - Soup, Fruit, Vegies. 

Sunday
Breakfast - Cold Cereal.  We always have cold cereal on Sundays, we leave early for church and cooking something has proved to be completely impossible.
Lunch -Beans and Rice.
Dinner - High Tea!  Yum!

Monday
Breakfast - Cold Cereal
Lunch - More leftovers
Dinner -Baked Potato Soup and rolls.

Tuesday
Breakfast - Cold Cereal (This many days in a row of cold cereal gets really OLD, but my hubbie had an early appointment and since we always eat as a family there wasn't time to make something.)
Lunch - Leftovers (For some reason we are swimming in leftovers right now.  Good thing we don't have picky eaters in our house!)
Dinner - Spaghetti & Meatballs, green salad, rolls.

Wednesday
Breakfast - Oatmeal
Lunch - Sandwiches
Dinner - Mexican chicken, vegies, rice.

Snacks
We don't snack much, mostly on fruit and vegies.  I stock up on them whenever it's on sale, usually we have apples, oranges, bananas, carrots, and celery on hand.

Drinks
We go through around 4 gallons of milk a week here, roughly $8 when it's on sale.  I will buy as much as can fit in my fridge when it's on sale, it usually lasts till the next sale.  I purchase soda on sale and keep it on hand for Mark on Friday nights, otherwise we don't drink it.  (Notice I keep it on hand for Mark, not the rest of the family)  We have juice with breakfast on the weekends ($2) and water the rest of the week.  Water with lunch and with dinner, except occasionally when I make iced tea (.20 a batch).

If you missed my first post of this series, you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! We love to hear from you!